Friday, September 17, 2010

Why women fall in love with fictional characters



Class is now in session...

I was seven years old when I watched my first soap opera. I remember sitting with my mother in front of the television eating a sandwich, engrossed in, “All My Children.” The character I most remember was Erica Crane. She was so glamorous. And I remember thinking to myself, “Are all women suppose to look and be this captivating?” Flash forward ten years. At this time I was addicted to another soap opera. I would come home everyday after work and immerse myself in these worthless storylines. And the thing that got to me was all the gorgeous rippled men they always seemed to cast. Somehow I got it in my mind that all my boyfriends should look like one of these guys. So I sought out to find one. I would not settle until I got what I wanted. Well, if I had continued to think this way today, I would be a very lonely girl.

First of all, women have a preconceived notion of what their future husbands/boyfriends should look like because of these Hollywood and television fairy tales. In fact, the entertainment industry has kind of brain washed women into believing they have a chance of finding their Brad Pitts. Let me tell you, finding a Brad Pitt (if that’s your type. I’m rather partial to Hugh Jackman myself) is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. And it’s not only the looks factor that we are misguided on. Women get sucked into believing that these fictional characters are true to form, as though they are going to meet prince charming and everything is going to be rainbows and butterflies…a real Hollywood romance. Uh….wrong! Take for example the Twilight movies. Almost every woman I know has a thing for Edward and I don’t know why because I find him ugly as hell, but that’s just my opinion. Anyway, women wish he were real. After this movie came out I logged onto Facebook and saw someone created group called, “Now that I’ve seen Twilight I have high expectations of men.” What? Are you kidding me? Or I heard that when the movie, Avatar, came out people were depressed and suicidal because they wanted to live in their world. Seriously? Get a life people! Let’s be real here. Most of the time the really attractive men are a bunch of a-holes and players, just because they know how good looking they are. Not only that, but most of these guys don’t seem to have a lot going on in their head. Is that what a woman really wants? A mannequin? If so she is in for a rude awakening. Although that seems to be what a man wants from a woman---the super hot brain dead bimbo. But that’s because it’s easier for them to get laid when she’s as dumb as a box of rocks. I’ve come to learn that average looking men are the ones who treat you the best. Now how often do they show that in movies? Besides, dating a mega attractive man is pretty stressful. Every where you go women will be eying your man. And then when you see him looking back you feel completely self conscious like you aren’t good enough for him. Why would you want that? I live in Orange County and people automatically think that because I live in the OC that I could come from the land of the beautiful. Eh…wrong again. Truth be told, I do not see many attractive men around here. Sure, there are a ton of attractive women, but rarely do any of the men in Orange County catch my attention. And I’m not talking about them having to be perfect…but rarely do I even see half decent. Then just the other day I was sitting at Coffee Bean and I look across from me and see a young guy with the most perfect face---nearly model
quality. He was the typical tall, dark and handsome. I looked at him and said to myself, “This guy looks like nothing but trouble.” Not to mention probably one of the biggest assholes on the planet. But hey, never judge a book by its cover. I just rather not deal with it.

Most women whom center their life around fictional characters are usually unhappy with themselves and their own lives. Obviously, reality is not something they want to endure. This fantasy of meeting the nearly perfect man they saw on television the night before sounds better than real life. First of all, if a woman is not happy with herself, she should not be focusing on trying to find Mr. Perfect or any man for that matter. They need to love thy self before they can love anyone else. This may sound cliché, but it’s the God’s honest truth.

Class dismissed.





On sale now....my first novel, Forever blue, as paperback or ebook by Amazon Trade paperback publishing....

What would you do if your first love suddenly walked back into your life? This is a question Alexa Moore finds herself asking the moment she comes face to face with her childhood sweetheart, nearly fifteen years after his mysterious disappearance.

In this coming of age novel, it is the summer of 1992. Carter Storm is a precocious thirteen-year-old child actor awaiting his big break in the entertainment industry. Alexa Moore is just a regular teenager, seeking acceptance from her peers. With heartbreak and humor, these two friends expose a world of secrets and learn to survive in the face of life’s contradictions and tragedies. When Carter’s dark life suddenly unveils before Alexa’s eyes, she witnesses her best friend beaten down mercilessly by his stage mother’s antics, but Alexa’s strong will and determination helps Carter pull through his darkest hours. The two are bonded by a love that only deepens as they grow. However, Carter’s mother will do everything she can to keep them apart, so that her prodigy is not distracted. As a result, the two are forced to keep their childhood romance hidden from prying eyes. When Alex discovers Carter’s family packed up and gone without so much as a chance for goodbyes, her world shatters.
Over a decade later, Carter Storm resurfaces as a Grammy award winner, with a new name, a new life, and an entourage of screaming girls and paparazzi following him everywhere he goes. When Alexa randomly comes face to face with Carter Storm, the encounter sets off a string of events that will have her torn between the man she loves and the man she once loved. How far will she go when the man from her past suddenly walks into her future?


Purchase for ebook at Amazon or Barnes and Noble:




Or paperback at Amazon or Barnes and Noble:

 



7 comments:

  1. Don't tell that to Disney or they'll sue the crap out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: I’ve come to learn that average looking men are the ones who treat you the best.

    Trouble is Jen, you don't want either of those things. Not only are you irresistably attracted to those with the A-list looks, you are also very much attracted to the @$$holes who treat you like shit. Admittedly, one does not choose what they are attracted to. But at some point, after being chewed up and spit out by a succession of @$$holes, why do some of you never learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made some good points. I like your blog! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fictional characters represent absolute ideal that's why, women love them. I love casper! lol

    WOMEN RULES, COOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dunga: Actually, I'd prefer an average looking guy who knows who to treat a woman right. And believe it or not, I don't go for men based on looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen: Then you should not have any trouble finding one. Almost by definition, average looking ones are more common. As for treating women right, that doesn't work half as well as treating them poorly. There ought to be plenty of them, owing to the fact that women aren't nearly as attracted to the 'nice guys'.

    After all, if it weren't so, you wouldn't be writing this blog, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. even the average looking ones don't treat you like how guys in the movies treat their love interest. it's good to manage expectations without totally lowering your standards. and yes, i'm quite a hugh jackman girl myself too and i find edward not a least bit attractive. team jacob anyday :P

    ReplyDelete